Naan is not a normal platter in any indian house though it is a choice but we eat it randomly on occasions like bithrday weddings anniversary parties etc,
Rotis cannot cover naan on occasions everyone loooks for naan in indian parties.
Naan is a very special bread in every indian homes as we visits for this to restaurants so it would be an adventure like evnet tp make it at home
- All purpose flour or maida 3 1/4 cups
- Salt 1/3 tablespoon
- Lukewarm water 1 cup
- Sugar 1 tablespoon
- Dry active yeast 1 tablespoon
- Lukewarm milk 1/3 cup
- Plain curd or yogurt 2 tablespoons
- Ghee or oil 3 tablespoons
- Kalonji or nigella seeds 2 tablespoons
- Chopped coriander
- Salted or unsalted butter 3 tablespoons
- Chopped garlic 2 large cloves
- Take flour in a bowl and add salt to it. Mix well
- Take lukewarm water another big bowl and add sugar and yeast to it. Let the yeast active for ten minutes. After or in ten minuted it will become frothy and bubbles will come up on the top.
- Add lukewarm milk, yogurt and oil or ghee to it. Now add the flour and mix properly everything.
- Now you will get a sticky dough so donot make it dry by adding more flour but it should not be too sticky to pick up. Means it should be a sticky dough not a tight batter.
- Knead it for two minutes so that it will become smooth. NOw grease a bowl with ghee or butter or oil and put the dough in it. Cover it with the kitchen towel.
- Put in a warm place for one to one and a half hour so that it will rise.If you live in a colder place preheat the oven for sometime and turn the oven off and then put the dough bowl inside the oven so that the warmth of oven can help in rising the dough properly.
- Now after one and a half hour the dough will rise to almost double of its original size.
- Knock out the air out of it by punching it with hands little.
- Now grease your palms with oil and make lois out of dough of equal parts and again cover them for 20 minutes to rest.
- Add grated garlic to the butter so that it will become filled with the smell of garlic. You can also add garlic to butter after crushing in a mortar pestle for better taste.
- On the gas burner put tawa( made of cast iron preferably) on medium to high. Take a loi apply oil or ghee to it and roll it into an oval shape or any shape you want your naan in. You can also oil the rolling pin if you find it difficult to roll. Generally I would recommed stretch more with hands only and roll less with rolling pin.
- Apply little water on the surface of naan and put naan on the tawa keeping wet side over the tawa. Now add some kalonji over the naan and wait for its cooking.
- Now you will see bubbles over the naan in sometime when it will be cooked from one side.
- With the help of a tong, remove the naan from tawa, flip and cook directly on the gas flame. Cook for 15-20 seconds so that you get a golden crown color on both sides.
- Now after naan is cooked well apply garlic butter we made over it with the help of a brush or spoon. If you want simple naans donot apply garlic butter just apply simple butter instead. Serve these homemade garlic naan with dal makhani or butter paneer or pudina chutney.