This is one of the type of roti or chapati or bread named after its method to make it. There is a type of machine used to make it, the cylinderical earthen machine inside which this roti is made. In India and Pakistan this bread (roti) is quite famous. In almost every restaurant you can find this in general menu as it is very common in there.
People are fond of this chapati and they prefer it sometimes over other breads too like naan, bhatura, etc. This is healthy as well as tasty and can be eaten in any seaon and on any occasion.
This roti is a big yes by every chef for the big days menu as this can be easily made in bulk and hence it is easily available and easily made bread.
You donot really need that earthen pot to make it if you donot have it, it can be managed to make it on tawa or cast iron skillet.
- Whole wheat flour 2 cups
- Salt as per taste
- Oil or ghee 1 tablespoon
- Water as required to knead
- Ghee to brush the rotis
- First take ahigh hipped platter or paraat and sieve the whole wheat flour in it. Add salt and mix well.
- Now add ghee or oil as moyan and mix slighlty. Now mix 1/2 cup water to it and gather the mixture to begin kneading.
- Knead the dough to make it smooth and soft. Let it rest for five minutes.
- Now knead a little again and make small to medium sized balls.
- Put a rolling board and flatten a dough ball, sprinkle some flour on it. Roll it into a small to medium sized round roti and brush water over one side.
- Heat a cast iron griddle or cast iron(no non-sticks please) tawa from medium to high. Now put roti over it, make sure the side we apply water over should stick to the tawa.
- As we put roti over tawa after that bubbles will appear over roti(from small to large bubbles both).
- Cook the roti for about one minute on a low to medium flame.
- Now turn the tawa upside down on the flame, carefully please, on a low to medium flame so that roti would not get burn. Move tawa according to roti's raw area so that it can be cooked evenly.
- The watered side of the roti has been cooked.Now the tava will have a few bits of cooked roti scrape it off.
- Serve tandoori roti with or without butter as per peference.