Thandai is a healthy and wealthy drink. This is very special drink for north India as it is consumed as a tradition during holi and mahashivaratri or any shivaratri in some areas. Bhang is an another name for the drink which is consumed specially on mahashiavaratri as bhang or cannabis is added to thandai as a prasad or holy element from god's prayers because it is believed that devoting bhang to god shiva bestows his goodnes on us. Lord shiva admires bhang so bhang is made or bhang thandai by adding bhang to the drink as a prasad. Generally at home thandai is made without bhang as it is not good for children and in excess for youngsters too. So removing this intoxicating element thandai becomes very healthy and vey amazing for daily or frequently consuming.
Thandai is a super drink and best for those who are having eyes ailment. Consuming daily in summers will make body immune frommmay ailments. This is immunty booster drink so it is a mandate to make it daily if you have weeakness in body or weak eyesight.
The word thandai means coolent which comes from the hindi word thanda again which means cool. Markets have a large variety of thandais both liquid and powdered form, but again they have preservatives which makes them long lasting durina a whole summer season or for a year long last. If you really want a good and effective thandai then it is always better to consume homemade eatables.
- Warm water 1 cup
- Chilled milk as per serving
- Cardamom powdered 1/4 tablespoon
- Pistachios 2 tablespoon
- ALmonds 2-3 tablespoon
- Cashews 2-3 tablespoon
- Sugar 1/3 cup
- Melon seeds or magaz or kharbooza seeds 50 grams
- Black pepper 1/2 tablespoon
- Saffron 7-8 strands
- Poppy seeds or khus khus
- Fennel 1 1/2 tablespoon try to take small fennel as they are eatable too
- Rose syrup or rose water 1 tablespoon
- Saffron 2 strands for each glass
- Dry fruits grated 1/2 tablespoon for each glass
- Sweet milk cream (dried layer of cream to cover partially each glass serving)
- In a bowl take one cup warm water and add dry fruits( almonds, cashews, pistachios, melon seeds) to it so that they can be soaked well and become cool in tasir or nature as dry fruits are hot in nature.
- Add black pepper, khus khus and fennel too to this. Wait for two or three hours.
- If you are using normal water keep the mixture overnight.
- Now for garnishing make sweet milk cried cream by boiling some milk with sugar and keep it also for cooling down and then put in the fridge for chilling. This is will yield in sweet dried cream layer over the milk which will be used for garnishing later.
- Two hours past, Add the soaked bowl content to a grinder alonwith water too. Add saffron, cardamom powder,sugar and rose syrup to it.
- Cover the grinder lid and grind well.
- Thandai mixture is ready for making thandai, this can be stored for one week or ten days too in the fridge only.
- For serving thandai take a glass and add chilled milk to it. Put one to two tablespoon thandai in the milk and stir well.
- For garnishing cover the milk partially wiht sweet dried cream and add dry fruits over it.
- Now add two-three strands of kesar over it. Thandai is ready to serve alongwith intereseting presentation.